I posted a couple days ago about the Greasemonkey add-on and, as a result, I’ve discovered a companion add-on called Greasefire. If you have Greasefire installed, when you are on a site like StarTribune.com for which there are Greasemonky scripts available, a little “flame” colored icon shows up behind your Greasemonkey icon in your status bar that looks like this: (the “normal” icon looks like this: )
When you see the one with the colored background, you can right-click on the icon and the very top item will tell you how many Greasemonkey scripts are available for that particular site. StarTribune.com, to continue the example, has 3 scripts available, 2 of which I have installed as indicted on the resulting menu shown here.
If you then click on the “XX scripts available” item you will be taken to a screen where the available scripts (userscripts.org is the source of all of the scripts by the way) are organized fairly well with the more useful/popular scripts near the top. For the Strib with only 3 scripts the order doesn’t matter all that much, but for something like Google Reader (or just plain Google even) there may be hundreds of scripts so it becomes important. If (or should I say when) you find a useful script installing it is just a single click away and happens seamlessly from within the Greasefire interface.
Speaking of Google Reader, one of the handy Greasemonkey scripts that I found using Greasefire is one that turns the various feeds in Google Reader different colors making things easier to read, in my opinon. See the sample of that below. There are other scripts that will add favicons to each feed or to each post and there are even some that will join your Gmail and Google Reader screens together so that you can monitor your email and incoming news feeds all in one place.
In short, to really get some usefulness from Greasemonkey you need to install some scripts and Greasefire makes it very easy to find scripts for the sites that you visit most. Visit this link for more information (you have to have Greasemonkey installed first for this to work, of course):